This three-day course will provide you with a thorough understanding of the internationally recognised and best practice programme management methodology Managing Successful Programmes (MSP), providing the skills you need to confidently use MSP to work within a programme.
By the end of this learning, you will have the skills to be able to identify the vision of a programme, thus aligning it to the strategic aims of the business. You will also be able to coordinate the projects of a programme to ensure the correct application of resources and risk, issue and change management. You will also be able to interface with the day to day business to ensure the smooth transition of changes delivered by a programme into business as usual activity and ensure that the benefits that the programme is designed to deliver are achieved.
You should ideally have experience of managing or working in programmes prior to attending. Knowledge of the PRINCE2® project management method is advantageous but by no means mandatory, but some exposure to a project management method will aid understanding of how the programme works with these projects.
- The success on the course will be enhanced by close attention to the pre-reading materials. It is recommended that candidates spend 1- 3 hours working through the pre-reading.
- If you have not received your pre-reading material within one week of the start of your course, please contact your Account Manager or email@example.com.
- Additional work will be required in the evening during the course, consisting of consolidation reading, mock examination questions and exercises. This evening work is an integral part of the course and you should expect to spend about 2 hours each evening on these activities.
- You will be presented with the official MSP manual: ‘Managing Successful Programmes’ on the first day of your course.
Delegates will learn how to
- Understand the facts, terms and concepts relating to each theme
- understand how each governance theme relates to the principles
- understand the approach to the treatment of each governance theme
- appreciate how each governance theme is applied throughout the transformational flow
- understand the responsibilities involved in each governance theme
- apply and tailor the relevant aspects of each governance theme to a given scenario
- identify, analyse and distinguish between appropriate and inappropriate application of each governance theme in a given scenario
- application of MSP in an exam environment
MSP philosophy and structure
What is a programme and how it differs to both business as usual and project work
Relationship between the MSP principles, governance themes and the transformational flow.
The 7 MSP principles
- Remaining aligned with corporate strategy
- Leading change
- Envisioning and communicating a better future
- Focusing on benefits and threats to them
- Adding value
- Designing and delivering a coherent capability
- Learning from experience
The 9 MSP governance themes
- Leadership and stakeholder engagement
- Benefits management
- Blueprint design and delivery
- Planning and control
- Business case
- Risk and issue management
- Quality and assurance management
The 6 MSP® Transformational Flow Processes
- Identifying a programme
- Defining a programme
- Managing the tranche
- Delivering the capability
- Realizing the benefits
- Closing a programme
MSP Foundation Examination
Everyone will sit the MSP foundation examination during the course.
The MSP Foundation examination takes place at 3pm on the third day. You must bring signed photo ID with you on any BCS exam (passport, driving licence, student card).
The foundation exam consists of:
- 75 multiple choice questions
- 1 hour
- Candidates require a minimum of 35 correct answers (50%) to pass